Thursday, February 2, 2012

Today's Plans

Today I will be making a mix that help keep me going in the kitchen without having to resort to boxed,canned or ready made supplies. First, let me clarify, none of these recipe mixes are original. They either come from the internet or books. I learned over a year ago how to make a "condensed" soup recipe that I have used in place of canned condensed soups. It takes a bit of planning to get into the habit of not relying on canned products, but once you get it down it is easy. Here is what I have been doing and then I will post a recipe for a mix to which I am switching.
I basically make a white sauce using butter, flour and chicken broth ( made from chicken base and water), then add some dried onions, salt and pepper. I cook it until it reaches desired thickness. I use this for anything calling for condensed chicken soup. I am changing over to help my girls learn how to cook without canned soups.
Here is what I am making today:
Condensed Soup Mix
2 Cups dry milk
3/4 Cup cornstarch
1/4 Cup chicken bouillion ( either powdered or crushed cubes)
4 Tbsp dried minced onion
1 tea. dried basil
1 tea. dried parsley
1 t pepper
mix well and store in airtight container- use 1/3 cup dry mix with 1 1/4 cups water, cook until
thick.
If I were to need cream of mushroom I would use the same recipe but substitute dry mushrooms for the chicken boullion. Or use the white sauce recipe above and add milk instead of chicken broth then add fresh or dried mushrooms.
I will also be making some energy/snack bars and baked cheddar crackers ( like goldfish).
Cleaning my house, laundry and school ( though Emily needs very little help from me). Making my menu and grocery/errand list for Friday. I also will complete alterations on Baylee's skirt.
It will be a busy day, but I will enjoy doing what I do at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment