Friday, February 3, 2012

This Weeks Menu

My menus start on Friday and end on Thurs., crazy I know. This schedule comes from years of homeschooling and raising 5 kids while dh worked overseas. Its a hard habit to break, so "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ( sorry for the grammar).
Friday
Crockpot BBQ meatballs ( ready made in the freezer)
Macaroni and Cheese ( homemade)
Baked Beans ( this is one time I use canned -Bushes Baked Bean)
Saturday
Crockpot Ranch Chicken( using hidden valley ranch mix- but when its all used up will switch to a homemade version)
Broccoli and Rice
Carrots ( canned this summer - thanks mom)
Sunday
Fellowship Meal at Church
Individual Cherry Pies ( the last of my canned cherry pie filling) and homemade cookies
Super Bowl Snacks- not exactly sure what that looks like- letting my girls make that menu
Monday
Spaghetti and Meatballs ( using my freshly canned Spaghetti Sauce)
Garlic Toast ( will make fresh french bread)
Salad ( from the garden)
Tuesday
Chicken and Dumplings
buttered homemade french bread
zucchini rounds
Wednesday
Chicken Teriyaki
Brown Rice
Homemade Eggrolls ( using coconut oil to fry)
Thursday
Cedar plank salmon
Hushpuppies ( baked not fried)
Rice Pilaf
Roasted Bussel Sprouts
Breakfasts- I dont make breakfast- but I always have these foods available
Oatmeal
Homemade granola and greek yogurt
Eggs
Bagels
Toast
Smoothies
Cranberry Orange Scones-I will make these on Sat and hope they last more than 1 day!
biscuits and gravy, jelly, or syrup
Pancakes/waffles
Muffins
Lunches- I do not make lunch, but always have these items available
any leftovers
quesadillas
grilled cheese
soups
pastas
homemade pizza
tuna/chicken salad
sandwiches
Snacks
yogurt and homemade granola
fruit
veggies
taboullah on mini toast
homemade energy bars/ snacks bites
cinnamon toast
pita chips
tortilla chips- homemade salsa
cheese and crackers
peanut butter and crackers
homemade cheese crackers
Majority of my food is made from scratch, with the exception of the meatballs and baked beans, this week. Meatballs are an item that I will occasionally buy and have in the freezer. I prefer to make them, but it is not always possible.
Here are some general guidelines I try to follow ( remember its a process and a journey,I am not always perfect)
I will try every couple of weeks to "cook it forward", my silly way of saying prepare ahead of time. That is also one of my goals this year. This week will make biscuits and scones, freeze them unbaked.
I try to cook with as little white processed sugar as possible, I will use Sucanat, honey, agave nectar, maple syrup or stevia
I have fish every Thursday.
Eat more chicken than red meat.
Rarely fry, and if on that occasion I do- I use cococut oil
I use only olive oil and butter
organic eggs, milk and butter
Almond milk for drinking or with cereal
NO sodas, juices, or powdered drinks- unless its organic no or low sugar apple juice
I buy coconut water for my kids when they want something besides water- i prefer this over sports drinks ( still working on breaking that habit, but when nausea is an issue I will use it)
No boxed or prepared foods ( as a general rule- but will use something in a pinch)
I only make dessert on the weekends
I buy organic as much as possible
No chips, unless it is pita or tortilla
Chicken is hormone free and Natural
Dont us condensed soups in casseroles- dont make many casseroles
Meatless one day per week- most of the time ( not this week)
I try to limit eating out to a maximum of 1 time per week
As I earlier stated I do my shopping and errands on Fridays. My dh has been working overseas off and on for 16 years. During the times he was gone, we were hs 5 children and I needed to set aside one day a week for shopping. I started out with only having school 4 days, and on fridays had 2 girls come babysit and help clean house. This was usually the only day I got out alone. Then as the children got older and I could leave them alone, we had 1/2 day of school on Fridays , they would do their assignments then have chores to do while I was shopping. This worked out great. As children graduated it changed again to leaving my two youngest home while i did the grocery shopping, then would pick them up for lunch out and finish my errands. If anyone needed anything we would take this time to get it. I now have 1 left home on Fridays ( occasionally another will be here when she is off work), so I still get out in the morning get my groceries and any other shopping I want to do, then pick her up and have lunch together. We then spend a couple of hours together,just hanging out-either shopping for her or just for inspiration...
Please leave a comment and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing to me, one of these days I hope to be a sahm, and hopefully can glean a little inspiration from seasoned vets like you!

    ReplyDelete