Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Valentine's Day

When I was younger it was so important for my husband to participate in the valentines rituals. When our kids were young, it seemed to put a strain on our family budget, flowers, gifts, dinner, babysitter- not to mention he always wanted to do the same for his 3 daughters. As I have grown up and matured,I have realized how commercialized it has all become and how "keeping up with the Joneses" is so important. Since Charles has been working overseas, I have gotten flowers on Valentines, and many other important occassions and just because he loves me. I dont need flowers, candy, gifts or dinner out to know my valentine loves me.

He works hard for our family. I want to share a little about my Valentine- we met Jan 1984, were engaged by April and married Sept. 8, 1984. I fell in love with a man that had an incredible capacity for unconditional love and forgiveness. I knew if he could overcome some of the challenges of his life and still walk in love and forgiveness, then I knew he could love me the same way. I have seen him work 3 jobs, work on college algebra while holding a fussy baby, fix anything that breaks, get a college degree while working fulltime and graduate Cumma Sum Laude. He has faced favortism, prejudice, stupidity and ignorance, and always come out on top. He is a Godly husband and father, often walking around our property and praying before going back overseas, or anointing our children and home with oil as he prays for his family. He does not preach to our children, simply lives what he believes.

He has led an adventurous life, and brought me right along with him. He has worked in some of the harshest conditions. He has worked in Bosnia, Hungary, Kosovo,Iraq, and Turkey, slept in private homes, tents, and containers. He has dined on MREs,local cuisine, and military institutional food, but still prefers mine! He has taken me to some of the most beautiful places. We have snowmobiled through Yellowstone, para sailed in Cancun, vacationed along the north sea, sailed with the Elissa, skied down beautiful snow covered mountains, camped out and played in rivers and the greatest adventure- raised 5 children together. He has worked hard for me to stay home and provide stability for our children.

We may argue and get crossed up, we are so very different. However, our marriage is strong and our commitment to each other is unfailing. So for valentine's day this year, there were no cards, no flowers (at my request) just a long phone conversation with the one I love.

I am so happy to be married to my valentine- and so proud to call him mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment